SCN: Re: National Day of Mourning

Randy Groves randy at scn.org
Fri Sep 14 10:04:43 PDT 2001

I have to admit that there is a part of me that in its anger is ready to
lash out at the nearest target.  There is a part of me that feels that in
this 'release' there would be some relief to the visceral reactions that I
am having in trying to wrap my mind around an event that is, in the end,
not understandable in normal human terms.  I think that there are a lot of
people that feel this way.

I don't know what the solutions are.  The people that actually perpetrated
this monstrosity have already paid.  We can do no more to them.  The
others that assisted them need to be brought to justice.  How and when
that happens will unfold - but I hope that we can do it in a way that
doesn't bring us down to their level.

The level of hate that was reflected in these acts - which most reasoning
people would consider insane - is mind bending.  The strength of the
feeling and conviction carried these people through months, perhaps
YEARS of preparation.  One note a friend of mine encountered indicated
that there was precise calculation as to the floors to hit and the
proper angle of the plane as it hit - in order to topple the buildings,
not just damage them.  If true, it just makes the enormity of the act
even more chilling.

We cannot and should not stoop to the same levels of hate.  That is
exactly what they want us to do.  This was a strike against the fabric of
our society.  They want us to be paralyzed.  I just read a good article:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/628351_asp.htm, of ten things we can do as
citizens of this country to show that we are NOT paralyzed.

But I look at all of this, and as I try to deal with the thoughts of all
the lives ended in terror, I realize that we, as Americans, have been
taking our good fortune in this world a little too much for granted.
While I don't agree with all of the people that tend to criticize all that
the US does overseas, there is a part of me in all of this that, while it
cannot in any way justify these murderers actions, nevertheless can see,
in a very small way, that our position in the world may be part of the
seed that flowered so tragically on Tuesday.

There are millions, if not billions of people in this world that are, I
believe, in unity about the barbarity and the incomprehensible nature of
this event.

What we do next will tell the tale.

-randy