SCN: WEB: National Day of Mourning for the pitcher

Joe Mabel jmabel at speakeasy.org
Fri Sep 14 06:01:21 PDT 2001

Thank you, Sharma, for your very reasonable comments.

As for er-chan:
I feel a little uncomfortable addressing someone I don't know over issues about
which they are obviously very emotional, but when you write what you did, I'm
rather offended.

Of course I don't 'agree with what those monsters did', nor do
I support the Interahamwe in East Africa nor the  actions of the Russian
government in Chechnya, etc. ad nauseum. Unlike the US government, I can
honestly claim never have to collaborated with (or even said a good word about)
Osama bin Laden (US ally against the Soviets in the Eighties) or Saddam Hussein
(US ally against Iran in the Eighties).

I'm not a pacifist, but tell me, er-chan: exactly whom am I supposed to be at
war with? At the moment, I happen to be working in London, Englad, so my reports
from Seattle are sketchy. I do hear that people have been making bomb threats
against the mosque on Northgate. Is this the war for which you wish to enlist
me?

SCN was not conceived to be a battleground. It was conceived as a place to
exchange ideas and information. I would hope that we would stick to a standard
that the cure for the ills of free speech is more free speech. It is my strong
expectation that (barring only the need to stay withi the laws of libel or
slander), our correct way of dealing with offensive content is to respond to it,
not to suppress it.

That said, I'm sure pro-war propaganda is not short of outlets in the US right
now. I doubt SCN would be serving its primary purpose if it were to see itself
primarily in terms of serving the cause of any side in any war.

Again, I will ask, as I asked before: is there specific content currently on SCN
that you are objecting to? If so, spell out what that content is. Otherwise, you
are coming on like Sen. Joe McCarthy claiming that the laundry list in his hand
was a list of 57 communists in the State Department. Is there specific content
you think we should link to that we don't link to? If so, spell out what that
content is. Or start a web page of your own, linking to the content you think is
inappropriately omitted from SCN, and ask SCN to link to that. If they
try to turn you down, I'll certainly be on your side in that fight.

Joe Mabel