SCN: "Why is there nothing..."

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Tue Sep 18 18:55:14 PDT 2001

For those of you who want to know "why is there nothing about 9/11 on the
webpage":  what do you want?

Is this tragedy some how diminished simply because we have not parroted
news that everyone in the nation (and most of the known world) already
knows?  What special knowledge does SCN have that needs posting?

Or are we expected to demonstrate our much vaunted independence with
immediate and reflexive displays of mass conformity?  Is the freedom to be
independent now contingent on the national mood?

If you have some suggestions for something that really ought to be on the
home page, by all means suggest them.  But I would hope that this tragedy
not be cheapened, nor our freedom and independence tarnished, by facile
displays of mass conformity.  Or by yielding to unthinking passion.