SCN: An exile from Rhodesia's guerilla wars speaks out

sharma sharma at blarg.net
Sun Sep 23 23:07:27 PDT 2001

==================================

The source of this article is an
organization called
general at lists.holisticmanagement.org .
The date is Saturday, September 15,
2001.  Its author is Allan Savory,
in exile from Rhodesia.

I am posting this to our general conference via
Jody as I am not routinely on our listserve due
to email overload.  I am venting my deep
feelings of sorrow and frustration by writing
to you who I know care and think deeply.  I
also write because Holistic Management is more
important than ever if peace is to prevail as
we all  wish.

As the events of the 11 September unfolded I
found myself so overwhelmed that for an hour or
two I simply pulled out of the important  planning
meeting in which we were engaged. I needed to sit
quietly with my thoughts. In my youth, growing up
in Rhodesia after World War II,  I somehow
recognized that guerrilla warfare would be the
future form of warfare  and I began studying and
later fighting for over twenty years in such a
war.  I mention this past briefly because as this
week unfolded, having  gone through much of my
life in senseless guerrilla warfare, I began to
see the  past floating before my eyes.

What I saw was not the endless showing of the
towers being hit and then crumbling, followed by
the anguish of family and friends of the dead
but something sinister and frightening.  I felt
an  emptiness not because of the tragic loss of
life of so many Americans and  others, including
we think five of my countrymen, but because of
the television interviews of leaders and public
figures.  I could not help but notice that all
talked of America's strength and resolve, war
and revenge.

Not one leader replied in the manner I would have
found myself responding in my anger and grief.
The President has called it a new form of war and
named it the First War of the 21st Century. He
has pledged to win it at a time and place of our
choosing.  Although this pledge is understandable
in terms of prevailing emotions, it is about as
meaningful in real terms as the many pledges to
win the war against drugs.  America and the
western nations, whose way  of life is under
attack, will need far deeper understanding for
peace and what  we all value in our way of life
to be safeguarded.  This is not a new form of
warfare  it is one of the oldest forms of
warfare that, due to  technological advances,
is capable of wrecking unbelievable damage.

 Nothing I write should be construed as not
having feelings for the  dead and suffering
I only risk writing at such a sensitive time
because my feelings run deep, and after living
so much of my life with violence I want
desperately to see an end to such suffering.
America will be called upon for international
leadership in this hour of need. Is America
up to that responsibility and what does that
leadership entail?

Let me make a few  basic points.  People
waging guerrilla warfare try to undermine
their enemy by actions designed to cause a
spread of terror, over-reaction, economic
damage,  etc. Commonly they hit soft (not
military) targets that will inflame emotions
simply because they do not have the military
strength to do otherwise.  If  skillful they
strike in such a manner that their more
powerful opponent will fan  the flames and
spread terror, lack of confidence in the
economy, etc., and do the job for them.
A mistake made by most governments is to call
their opponents "terrorists'.  The constant
use of the word  "terrorist' while televising
dramatically the damage and suffering makes
their action several million times more damaging.
If you want to spread terror use the word
terrorist
repeatedly, associated with terrifying pictures,
and lo and behold you do spread terror.  I
watched Ian Smith do this repeatedly in
Rhodesia's long struggle for independence.

Long ago in that struggle I said publicly that
if I were a guerrilla I would pray that my
opponents would call me a terrorist to further
my aims.

The Smith government made that mistake and
repeatedly attacked me as an army officer
and Member of Parliament for using the name
guerrillas instead of trying to understand the
form of warfare they faced.

Smith, his generals and media gurus, through
ignorance about guerrilla warfare
guaranteed their own political defeat.

I am not indulging in hindsight as many times
on the public platform I said that Mugabe's
greatest allies were Ian Smith and his generals
who, while waging a "war against terrorists',
were winning political victory for Mugabe and
ensuring the end of democracy for years to come.

Secondly I see in America floating before my eyes
once again something I lived through.  Our
strength
is our greatest weakness. What do I mean by this?

In Rhodesia we had an  extremely capable and
efficient army for bush warfare.  We knew it
and were intensely proud of our army.  We never
lost a single encounter or battle no  matter
what the odds, but that, as I pointed out many
times during the conflict, guaranteed we would
lose the "war'.  I say this simply because these
situations are not  "wars' requiring military
solution, but situations requiring  civilian
policies that deal with the root cause of
people's frustrations and suffering.

Because we white Rhodesians were so strong our
government,  under a political leader rather than
statesman, was unwilling to even  contemplate
seeking the necessary solution that would preserve
the democracy we valued.  That, after all, would
appear "weak' to the bulk of the electorate who
wanted tough-talking generals and politicians.
When, as leader of the opposition in Parliament,
I said (to Smith)  "You are going to have to talk
to the guerrilla leaders". I was branded a coward
and traitor in public.  When I said on one
occasion,
"If you want to win this 'war' you need to
understand
your opponents and to understand why someone like
me
would say  'If I  had been born a black Rhodesian,
instead of a white Rhodesian, I would be your
greatest terrorist'". I lost the support of even
my own party and ended up in  exile.

I use the similarities with Rhodesia because only
the scale  differs. America's leaders would be
wise not to treat this as a  "war' but  rather
as a serious wake up call to look at an extremely
broad and comprehensive strategy involving our
foreign and domestic policies as well as our
education  and business systems.

Right now there is a need to motivate people to
unite.  And there is a need, that the President
and his advisors are  tackling well, to
collaborate with other nations and go after the
perpetrators determined to bring them to justice.
However, this should be done without  setting our
people up for war and retaliation. There is a
need,
while unity and determination still hold, to
initiate the moves to bring about a civilian
strategy to win the peace we all seek.  If we rely
solely on our military strength in retaliating,
far from ending the war  "in a place and time of
our  choosing,"  we will bring about counter
retaliation at some time. This has been the most
massive guerrilla attack ever staged, but it will
pale into insignificance with future nuclear or
biological attacks unless our leaders act with
understanding and wisdom as well as determination.

There have always been evil people and will
continue to be such people. We need of course
to share intelligence between nations and root
them out. But at the same time we need also to
address the causes to which they attach
themselves and to dry up their source of
recruits.

I am sorry that many in this nation are focused
only on America and seeing this as an attack on
this nation and on democracy.  It is not a war
in which "they' are trying to conquer America or
defeat democracy. Public memory can be short.
It was but months ago that thousands of
peace-loving people (including prominent
Americans)
brought the World Trade Organization Conference in
Seattle to a halt.  Now, this strike at the World
Trade Center as the principal target by ruthless
people exploiting  grievances for their own ends
should have conveyed a message to all developed
nations - America, Britain, France, Germany,
Japan and others.

If America is to provide the leadership the
world is crying out for, we would be wise to
try to understand how and why the Bin Laden's
of the world can have such a pool of angry
young people to call on who are prepared to
give their lives so readily.  We need to
understand and heed the cries of people
displaced by massive dam  construction in
India or Africa, or the bulk of the
Mexican population who  deplore the loss
of their way of life and all they value
most dearly as we  pursue policies like
NAFTA.

We need to understand that we cannot call
on people in poor countries to be good
capitalists and then go to war against
them for supplying our people with drugs
they seek at any cost. We need to understand
that when we ban chemicals because they
are known to be damaging to humans that we
should not allow multi-national corporations
to increase their manufacture and sale to
third world countries so we can profit. We
need to understand that we cannot take
thousands of years of careful nurturing of
genetic material by simple people and patent
the genes for the profits of our corporations
and shareholders.  We need to understand that
in many ways it is not democracy that is under
attack but rather certain aspects of our lives
that others see as causing their poverty and
suffering.

I know many Americans,  including good
friends of mine, will immediately say,
"but our policies are not harming them.
I am afraid if others even perceive our policies
as harmful  to their culture and way of life
that becomes the political reality in such
situations.  It is essential that we look at
our policies in our own  enlightened
self-interest as they affect our environment
and other people as we do with Holistic
Management policy formation.

I am not a  politician.  I only went into
politics in my country as a junior army
officer with a deep knowledge of guerrilla
warfare to try to end a senseless war of
self-destruction. But over the twenty years
that I have been a "political has-been' I
have never ceased to try to think of ways
nations might end such  violence.  And I
have never ceased to work on the causes
underlying most  worldwide violence. I don't
know who originally said it, but I have long
believed that  UNTIL ALL PEOPLE FEEL SECURE
AND WELL-GOVERNED, NONE ARE
.  No nation can
be an island unto itself in the modern  world.
In America we may feel secure and well
governed but are we?   Clearly by this
definition we are not.  When the towers were
first hit and  blame started to fly, more
than one person raised the question:  Are we
sure this time that it is not Americans?
Looking at our government I do not see
representation of many Americans. We don't
even have a Parliamentary opposition in the
sense I understand--we have a government
formed from  alternatively one or other of
two wings - left and right - of the same
corporate  party, managed by a mature and
often insensitive bureaucracy.  As a
consequence, millions of Americans are
politically emasculated and apathetic,
feeling a deep sense of hopelessness.

The present catastrophe will unite all
Americans as never before and that is good.
But the unity will not  last. If our leaders
cannot see what is happening in our own
country, what hope  have we of understanding
the frustrations of millions who are daily
affected by  the policies of the US, and our
fellow western powers that support corporations
with economies and powers greater than whole
nations.  The focus will be on America as the
single super power, but Britain, France,
Germany and other countries are as much part of
what many millions of people see as the ugly
side  of capitalism.  Focus is on us because
we are seen as having a small percentage of
the world's population consuming a very high
percentage of the  world's resources resulting
in vast impoverishment for others.

It cannot be repeated too often- poor land leads
to poverty, disease, social breakdown, abuse of
women, increasing violence and genocide and
ultimately war. One  has only to look
holistically at the many resource management
policies of  America, or the World Bank and
other governments and organizations heavily
influenced or dominated by American money and
university graduates, to see that  we are
guaranteeing an increasingly violent future
for our children and our allies.

As I write, the President is sitting with his
National  Security Council to decide how to
respond.  They are intelligent people who
will advise on all aspects of security within
the comprehension of their  professions
military, economic, political analyst or
whatever.   Probably the President could not
put together a more competent team if we were
at war.  However if one understands the nature
of how wholes function I  would wager a bet
that the same NSC with its heavy regular
military bias will be  ill-suited to forming
a strategy to win the peace.  Building our
response  on a war analogy is dangerous in the
extreme. While the President will politically
have to respond with force in some form right
now, it would be wise to look beyond starting
right now.  I believe to win the peace the NSC
should be expanded to include men and women who
understand the effects on millions of ordinary
peace-loving people of such things as our
agricultural policies and NAFTA as well as the
actions of not only American but also
multi-national corporations. Conventional
economists have almost no comprehension of the
effects of for instance agricultural policies on
rural American families let alone families in
India, Pakistan, Mexico and  Africa.

When faced with situations of such enormous
magnitude, where it  is always easy to be a
critic but never as easy if actually having to
handle the full responsibility, I have a habit
of asking myself  "If faced with this
responsibility what would I do?'

In this instance I would do the  following.  No
one has the answers, least of all me, but these
actions  would lead us toward finding solutions, I
believe:

·       I would recognize the need for
statesmanship rather than gut-level politics.

·       I would do all in my power, working with
our allies, to  bring the perpetrators of the
current violent actions to face international
justice.

·       I would not call it a war but rather
focus on this as a  struggle for worldwide peace
involving our leadership of all  nations.

·       I would treat it with the utmost
urgency, as this  horrifying act has been a
bigger blow than was the strike at Pearl Harbor.

·       I would recognize that failure of the
developed nations to address worldwide
biodiversity loss, desertification and global
climate change and social injustices will result
in ever more horrifying events involving nuclear
and biological weapons.

·       I would put the situation on a  "war
footing' in terms of seriousness and allocation
of funds and people  no price is too high to pay
and, as in war, I would go beyond using only
establishment bureaucrats and experts.

·       I would task an expanded NSC with
developing a comprehensive civilian and military
strategy and monitoring system to address over
time the root cause of most worldwide violence.

·       I would, as my duty to the nation,
insist that this  expanded NSC have free reign
to investigate all aspects of our political,
economic, educational, trade and business systems
there would be no sacred cows.

·       To the expanded NSC I would appoint
people who have a track record of understanding
the underlying problems, social and economic
ramifications of destructive agricultural and
land management policies, trade  policies, and
more that lead to poverty, frustration,
displacement, disease and violence (there are
many such people in America and Europe
consistently ignored  at present). And I would
include people with a sound knowledge of guerrilla
warfare as well as conventional warfare.

·       I would urge all politicians to accept
the recommendations of such a strategic group
in a non-partisan manner so that  implementation
could proceed rapidly in the interests of all
nations.

In short, I believe the surest way to
guarantee Americans a future of severely
restricted
liberties and fear of violence is to treat this
as a war that can be won with economic and
military
might.  The war analogy focuses on what the enemy
is doing when we need to focus on what we are
doing to  ourselves. The possibility of even more
horrific acts is increased when rogue  religious
groups such as the Taliban (most Muslims, as well
as the Koran, preach  peace and harmony), and
individuals like Bin Laden, can recruit people
willing  to commit suicide and align themselves
with genuine grievances for their own  ends.
To let such evil people put up a smoke screen that
clouds our vision and draws our attention away
from
addressing the real grievances of millions of
peace-loving people would be the greatest tragedy
and play into the hands of future Bin Ladens.

This is a battle for peace that can be won by
statesmanship that ensures that while containing
present violence to the best of  our ability we at
the same time start to address the things needed
to ensure that all people feel secure and well
governed.

[END]

=====

Thought for the Day:

"Now that the government has declared
War on Terrorism, it appears that we
are headed for really big trouble.
Why?  Because when the government
declared War on Poverty we got more
poverty, when they declared War on
Illiteracy we got more illiteracy,
when they declared War on Crime
we got more crime, and when they
declared War on Drugs we got more drugs.
Brace yourself for more terrorism."