SCN: Re: Re: principles

Doug Schuler douglas at scn.org
Mon Apr 1 06:36:23 PST 2002

Steve,

It seems to me that we look at the principles through different
eyes.  I'll explain my side and I'd like to hear yours.  It's
hard for me to really believe that we see things so differently
but from your note it does seem that may be true.  In particular
I am one of those people that don't see any need to revisit the
principles with an eye towards changing them.  On the other
hand I see a continuing need to revisit the principles with
an eye towards seeing where they can lead; what new projects
we might undertake.  Weakening them just because we don't
feel like doing one particular project or because we don't
currently have the resources seems unnecessary to me.

As Patrick and others have pointed out the principles are
just a set of orienting ideas; they aren't a recipe.
In your example of the database, the principles suggest
that we will provide access to databases and other services.
That can mean that we provide the access alone to databases
and services on other systems and/or databases and other
services on our own machine.  I see absolutely no reason
why it's important to say that we will never any of these
services ourselves.  What would be the point of that except
to stunt our own potential?

The ideals should always be a bit more ideal than those immediately
attainable.  "A man's reach should exceed his grasp..."  This is
a philosophical view I guess but I think it's important for
our vision and growth -- especially in the long term.

-- Doug

   *     SHAPING THE NETWORK SOCIETY                                *
   *          Patterns for Participation, Action, and Change        *
   *                  http://www.cpsr.org/conferences/diac02        *
   * Tomorrow's information and communication infrastructure        *
   *   is being shaped today.                                       *
   *                              But by whom and to what ends?     *
   * Questions: diac02-info at cpsr.org                                *