SCN: Kazaa

Steve steve at advocate.net
Wed Apr 3 08:52:39 PST 2002

x-no-archive: yes

==================

(David Coursey, ZDNet)---Brilliant Digital Entertainment is the
latest in a string of companies that seem to think Internet users are
stupid. In this case, stupid enough to let Brilliant take over your
computer for its own gain--without compensating you. Don't let
them!

Here's the story: Brilliant has been distributing its 3D advertising
technology along with Kazaa's file-swapping software since last
fall. But recently Brilliant started sending out additional software
that would turn every computer running Kazaa into a node on
Brilliant's own network.

We know this because ZDNet's John Borland uncovered the story
yesterday while reading a federal securities filing in which Brilliant
described its plan to use end users' computers for distribution and
file storage. It might also siphon off your unused processing power
to have your computer do work on behalf of Brilliant's clients.

Brilliant's clandestine network is based on a piece of software
called "Altnet Secureinstall," which is bundled with the Kazaa
software. That technology can connect to other peer-to-peer
networks, ad servers, or file servers independently of the Kazaa
software, and can be automatically updated to add new features.

While Brilliant promises that customers will be given a chance to
opt-in (or not, I suppose) before the network is turned on, and that
some compensation will be offered, the company is under no
obligation to do so. That's because buried in the fine print of the
Kazaa user agreement is the following:

"You hereby grant (Brilliant) the right to access and use the
unused computing power and storage space on your computer/s
and/or Internet access or bandwidth for the aggregation of content
and use in distributed computing. The user acknowledges and
authorizes this use without the right of compensation."

You have to agree to those terms before you can use the Kazaa
file-swapping service.

My bet is that the company really will offer some trifling incentive
for people to opt in--forever--before turning on its network. But that
deal is one-sided: You have no way of knowing what your excess
bandwidth and processor power is actually worth. Maybe Brilliant
should give everyone who opts-in a share of its stock so everyone
can share in the wealth the company hopes to create.

Beyond questions of propriety and security--is the software safe
from hackers?  You have to wonder - how are we supposed to
trust Brilliant when they've already snuck their software onto
millions of machines?

Brilliant is not the only company trying to pull some version of this
trick on users. Kontiki and Red Swoosh are also in the business of
using other people's machines and bandwidth to distribute their
own (and their clients) content. I don't know enough about these
two companies to toss them into the same pile with Brilliant. But I
suspect they are very close.

Maybe someday a company like Brilliant will be honest with us,
explaining its intentions upfront, and giving users a chance to opt-
in and receive fair compensation in return if they do. When that
happens, maybe we will decide to say yes to the offer. I can't
imagine why we would, given the privacy and other risks involved,
but at least we should be given the chance to consider the offer.

But since Brilliant has already missed the opportunity to be candid
about its plans--and the software it's installed on millions of users'
machines--I urge everyone to dump Kazaa and, in the process,
send Brilliant packing. In doing so, you'll be protecting your
computer, the Internet, and sending a message to slimeball
companies about what is--and isn't--acceptable behavior.

Copyright 2002 CNET Networks, Inc.