SCN: Re: AT&T Broadband

patrick fisher clariun at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 21:09:08 PST 2002

I've been informed that you can get basic cable for about $12/month. 25 or so
channels. But I'm not sure which channels those are. I'd like to get public access
channel and some of the other channels as well.

I have a good signal in Greenwood. Good enough for me and I rarely watch tv. I think
what prompted me was hearing about "Professor Hopkins" movie review site on public
access (found out about it on komoradio.com). I had watched him years ago with some
other guy. They had a video store over on 25th NE. Forget the name of it, but it was
the indirect genesis of Scarecrow Video.

I liked the offbeat shows on public access, but it has been years since I have had
cable.

Patrick

--- Scot Harkins on SCN <scoth at scn.org> wrote:
> I'm with Jim's recommendation.  Where I am "basic cable" is $49/month from
> Millenium (now bought by yet somebody else).  A good antenna from Radio
> Shack is all I need, along with my VCR and DVD.  I don't get things like the
> History Channel and A&E, but I have my monthly Discover, Scientific
> American, National Geo, Readers' Digest, Mother Earth News and Texas Monthly
> to make up the difference.  Add to that the PBS fodder (News Hour, SciAm
> Frontiers, Nova, Frontline, Red Green, etc.) and who needs cable?
>
> If you get a long-range antenna with motor from Radio Shack you can pick up
> stations in Victoria, Vancouver (BC), Bellingham and, of course, Tacoma
> (their PBS station rocks).  All that can be done for the price of a few
> months of "basic cable".  What happens after 2006, of course, is another
> matter (HDTV supplants NTSC-TV).
>

> sh
>
> --
> Scot Harkins (KA5KDU)
> Greenbank, WA, US
> Phone: 360-678-5880
> Email: scoth at bigfoot.com
> URL <http://www.bigfoot.com/~scoth>
> --

=====
Webmaster
Seattle Community Network
http://www.scn.org
"Powering our communities with technology"