SCN: Semantic web

Doug Schuler douglas at scn.org
Fri Feb 22 09:22:37 PST 2002

I met one of the main people behind this effort last November in Kyoto.
My question to him: People have been working with semantic nets for 20
years without gaining any particular value out of that approach -- why did
he think that moving it to the web would do it?  He thought that making
the conceptual underpinnings available to all might make the payoff
*emerge* -- and he might be right.  The effort was quite heavily funded by
military R&D and corporations.  I'm not sure what their vision is vs.,
say, what an SCN type vision is. (PS. for my more *political* view of a
"world brain" see http://www.infosoc.co.uk/current/Featurearticle4.2.pdf.)

-- Doug

   *     SHAPING THE NETWORK SOCIETY                                *
   *          Patterns for Participation, Action, and Change        *
   *                  http://www.cpsr.org/conferences/diac02        *
   * Tomorrow's information and communication infrastructure        *
   *   is being shaped today.                                       *
   *                              But by whom and to what ends?     *
   * Questions: diac02-info at cpsr.org                                *