SCN: Semantic web

Joe Mabel jmabel at speakeasy.org
Mon Feb 25 00:55:57 PST 2002

Does anyone other than me find it perversely fascinating that on the ooe hand
this talks somewhat idealistically about a "world brain" and on the other hand
when in comes down to actual applications, the discussion is of more efficiently
devastating a third world country by better coordination of military force?

I remain generally on the side of the "people should think, computers should
compute" school. So many AI fantasies come down to avoiding moral responsibility
for the concrete consequences of abstract decisions.

As for the specifically military side of the fantasy, part of the perverse
fascination is the recerring belief that somehow such technologies can be
developed and then remain uniquely at the beck and call of the American Empire.

Are we building a future in which every common person may ask, like Henry II,
"Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?" and leave it to someone (or, more
precisely, something) else to draw the consequences?
(http://www.digiserve.com/peter/becket.htm for those of you who don't know the
reference.)

Joe Mabel, in his ironic capacity as cyberLuddite.