SCN: Update: SCN site redesign link

Joe Mabel jmabel at speakeasy.org
Tue Feb 26 23:05:44 PST 2002

I just want to address a very minor point here (but, I think, an important
misunderstanding: the meaning of "consensus". Consensus does not mean unanimity.
It means a preveailing opinion from which there is no strong dissent. Like many
words in the English language, its meaning is a bit fuzzy: certainly a unaimous
opinion is a consensus, but a consensus is not necessarily a unanimous opinion.

I bring this up because it often leads to a misunderstanding of what it means
for an organizion to function "by consensus". For example, the Peace Heathens (a
group of which I am proud to be a member) function by consensus. T)is does not
mean that we only act when we have true unanimity.  It means we need a solid
supermajority and no strong, principled disagreement. Any individual active
member may "throw a block", but we would never be able to function if someone
threw a block every time they thought the course of action was imperfect.

Joe Mabel