SCN: Update: SCN site redesign link

Joe Mabel jmabel at speakeasy.org
Wed Feb 27 01:18:53 PST 2002

Precisely. STRONG opposition. But, for example, if 3/4 of the people want to
spend some money on office supplies and 1/4 would rather hold on do the cash for
a while,the office supplies will probably be bought.  Maybe slightly less money
will belspent than if everyone fully agreed on the same course of action
(compromise producing a stronger consensus), but the group won't be paralysed,
unless one or more members in good standing consider this a serious error: e.g.
they believe that the expenditure at this time will interfere wiwpaying rent at
the end of the month.

Similarly (although this doesn't apply to the Quakers), a consensus group can
appoint one or more spokespeople who are authorized to speak on behalf of the
group and who are trusted to accurately represent the consensus opinion of the
group rather than to substitute their own personal opinion and represent it as
the group's view. For example, I have authority to speak for the Peace Heathens
with reference to the Crisis Resource Directory (http://www.scn.org/crisis) and
Vivian McPeak and Dominic Holden each have authority to make statements in the
group's name about Drug Policy. These positions as spokespeople are based on
years of experience and mutual trust and on a belief that these individuals have
a strong understanding of the group's consensus views in these areas. (Also that
whenhin doubt, we won't a't unilaterally).

Nonetheless, the group could revoke this delegation at any time. (However, I'll
add that we have never clarified what would happen if one or two individuals
wanted to revoke someone's spokespersonship: the issue has never arisen, and we
might well have a "constitutional crisis" if it did. The only times anyone's
spokespersonship was ever revoked, there was clear agreement by a
supermajority).

Joe Mabel