SCN: building wireless community networks

Al Boss alboss at scn.org
Tue Jan 8 13:56:23 PST 2002

An interesting concept. I imagine it bears looking into, as long as we
don't lose sight of a few things:

1) we can't even agree on what we're supposed to be doing with the stuff
we're already doing

2) is cost a barrier for users to access a wireless network? Or does the
opposite hold true? I don't know the answer to this; I'm not that savvy
about wireless networks.) (Here I'm thinking of the SCN principles
regarding our particular focus on providing access to those without
ready access to information technology, and on being accessible from
public places. Would a wireless community network increase access to us,
or just provide a different method of access to those who could afford
the hardware?)

3) are we prepared to get slapped with a lawsuit from an ISP whose
service is being "donated" to the wireless network? It's only a matter
of time before they make an example out of someone. Our 501(c)3 status
makes us an attractive target if the goal is to scare people, get a lot
of press, and prove that they're willing to sue anyone who shares their
wireless access.

Don't get me wrong; I like the idea. I just urge caution and careful
planning.