SCN: Reputation

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Wed Jan 9 20:57:37 PST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, emailer1 wrote:

> ... this JJ can be pretty mean to people.

Which might be your justly deserved deserts!

But, as Patrick noted, hiding your true identity doesn't make you an less
excoriable.  Actually, I tend to be gentler (with certain exceptions)
with people I know (whether I like them or not), and even more so when I
know that the person contributes to SCN.  And when someone has a history
of being sensible, where they have earned a good reputation, I am quite
willing to proffer the respect they deserve.

On the other hand, someone who has shown repeated inability to understand
or accept reasonable explanations, someone who doesn't respect other's
knowledge or experience, or abuses the forms of discursive inquiry, or
someone who is motivated less by a spirit of truth-seeking and more by
gratuitous monomania, who perhaps has earned a reputation other than
good--well, such a person deserves no better than they get.

Discussing an issue is one thing.  But _forcing_ discussion of an issue
that does not warrant discussion is political chicanery, and warrants some
attention to the mode and motivation of the sender.

So go ahead and hide your identity, your past history, and your
reputation.  You are nothing.