SCN: Fw: Mountaineering

emailer1 emailer1 at netzero.net
Tue Jun 4 01:29:24 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 2:36 PM
Subject: RE: Mountaineering

This is a excerpt from a mountaineering friend about climbing.  Succinct and direct.

"As Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies, "A man's got to know his limitations."  And of course, the mountain always wins so if we want to return another day to visit a special place in the mountains, a constant evaluation of risks v. rewards based on current information needs to be part of our journey."

You'll notice the climbers who died on Rainier made mistakes:

  a.. climbing a route that has no possible descent alternatives;
  b.. climbing this very difficult route with a weather forecast that called for "deteriorating weather conditions";
  c.. choosing this as their first ever route up Rainier;
  d.. and their navigation device (a GPS) froze so they couldn't find the Emmons Glacier which they could have descended even in darkness if necessary.