SCN: Call for Proposals -- Community Information Systems

Doug Schuler douglas
Wed Jun 5 11:08:39 PDT 2002

Call for Proposals -- Community Information Systems

  To: community, civic, and educational groups
  From: Randy Groves and Doug Schuler, The Evergreen State College

-----------------
Please forward as appropriate
-----------------

Hello!

We think we have an exciting proposition and we're hoping that you
think so too.  Please take a minute to read this note and see if you
may want to participate.  We think it's a great opportunity to think
creatively -- and to have fun -- and, hopefully, be left with an
application, service, or web site that is useful to you.  And
ultimately we all hope to have some influence on how information and
communication technology is used in society.

As some of you know, Randy Groves (randy at scn.org) and I
(douglas at trout.cpsr.org) are teaching at The Evergreen State College
(www.evergreen.edu), a non-traditional liberal arts college in Olympia,
Washington (US) 70 miles south of Seattle.  Starting in late September,
2002 we will be teaching a 3 quarter (approx. 9 month) program entitled
"Community Information Systems" to about 50 students.

In this program, teams of 3 to 5 students will work together with a
community to develop a web based application that is useful to that
community.  Some of these communities will be in the Pacific Northwest
region while others will be in Europe, Africa, Asia, or other places.
The students will be learning about how to develop web-based
applications (using public domain tools and languages: HTML, PHP, and
MySQL) while also helping to plan "campaigns" that are related to the
community's needs.  We're planning to work with 8 - 15 communities.

We hope that this arrangement will be beneficial to everybody -- we
want both the student teams at Evergreen and the communities whom
they're working with to give and to receive some service or good, so
everybody gains from the experience.

Our immediate need is to begin discussing possibilities with people.
We plan to spend the next several months identifying strong candidates
to present to the students in late September.  In mid October our
students will select 8 - 15 communities to work with.  Please fill out
our online proposal form
(http://www.scn.org/edu/tesc-ds/2002-2003/misc/partners-survey.html) if
you think there is even the remotest possibility that you'd like to get
involved.   We would like to see your completed proposal by August 15,
2002.

Thanks!   If you have any questions or comments please let us know.
We'd love to discuss this with you!

Thank you!!!

Randy Groves, grovesr at evergreen.edu Doug Schuler,
douglas at trout.cpsr.org

PS. Please feel free to forward this to anybody whom you think might be
interested.

PPS. Please contact us directly if you have any questions
about the online proposal system or any other aspects of the project.

PPPS. Much of last session's (2000-2001) can be found at
http://www.scn.org/edu/tesc-ds/2000-2001/fall/