clearly no longer Re: SCN: logo ideas

Joe Mabel jmabel at speakeasy.org
Fri Mar 8 07:28:52 PST 2002

I don't have time right now to go all the directions I might from here; I'm just
going to dash off some quick notes. Please excuse any typos: bad East European
internet connect, usually I proofread, but I'm in a hurry to get somewhere.

Various points, heavily snipped rom earlier email

1) Patrick, I wasn't asking you to singlehandedly fix what I see as wrong with
SCN(A). You asked what I ttought ghe big problems are. I answered.

2)> Ti Locke has the Computer Giveaway program. It's tied to SCN and was supposed to be
> updated on SCN, but wasn't.
News to me. An SCNA board member (who wiwl remain nameless) told me we no longer
have  a computer giveaway program worth mentihning and to removemaol mention of
it from the Communications page of the Crisis Resource Directory. If that is no
longer true, and if there is somewhere that peop le/groups in need can now apply
to get a computeer please pass me the info to post tpere.  If SCN(A) is devoting
anyignificant resources to this (which I thihk  would be very valuable) that
would be more than news.
Right now, if someone wants to help with an effort like this, as far as I can
tell they couldn't even look at our site & see where to volunter.

3) > > What is broken about SCN(A)? In my viev:
> > - we seem to have lost sight of providing service for the most disadvantaged
> > which approximates what is available to other people.
>
> Not to be critical, but could you give some specifics?
Yes. We provide internet connect, but nou one that will allow a graphical
browser.. How's that for not what nost peohle can get from the internet?

4)> > - we have a lot of bickering, blaming, and flaming that discourages active
> > participation by capable people.
>
> I don't really see this as a problem. Things aren't too bad for a mailing list.
> Certainly no worse than any other.
Then you've just worked with a buch of lousy, bickering groups. I've almost been
driven to quit by the tone of some of these online discussions.  Other good
particrpants/volunteers HAVE been driven to quit.
I work with the Peace Heathens. We are a compareably large & diverse group. I
can't remember a single flame mail in 5 years except one from someone who
was quitting.

5)> > - we have not become expert at deploying volunteers to maximum advantage.

> I disagree here, from my vantage point. We've brought on some very capable topic
> editors and they are all gung-ho for SCN. They do a remarkable job.
The editors are fine, but if you look at our mrssion broadly, you con hardly
saying that te are doing the most that could be done to build for and to promote
our vision os what the internet and such could be.

6) > > - we have fallen far short of our early goal of being innovators, of
> > constituting a model for others in using technology in service to democracy.
>
> That is one bite that is bigger than I can chew. That can encompass so much.
Fine, you aren't the one to do this. Cool. But where is t group within SCNA I
can hook up to work on things larger than SCN itself? ANswer: probably nowhere.

7)> > - we do not, in my opinion, constitute one of the easiest ways to get
lo[Bcal,
> > public-minded content onto the Web.
>
> I don't believe it is any harder than any other site. It's not too bad. If there is
> something that can be fixed, please make a suggestion and I will look at it. I will
> admit, though, that making the content on SCN more concise would be very helpful and
> I'm working on that!
SCN's tools for online editing etc. are so much less good than Speakeasy's that
I maintain my site by building it in a directory on Speakeesy, they ftp'ing it
to SCN.  If I wasn't an IP, I wouldn't even have that option.

8)> > - we have never  developed any ability at all to truly support other
> > likeminded endeavors.
>
> Give me a list and I will take a look. Could you be a little more specific on this
> issue?
AgAin, I'm not asaing you personally to solve this. But whhat is SCNA really
do[Ding to help influence for the better how the City of Seattle provides
information on its site? WhWt aretwe dointo support computing centers at
comcunity centers? what are we doing to support computer access for the
homeless?  What are we doing to make itt possible for poor people whout a lot of
tech savvy to get their content onto the web in a way tha[Dt looks gosd &
reaches people? Answer: a little, but not much.

Anyone think these questions sound less important rhan a new logo?

JM