SCN: logo ideas

Don Logsdon donlogs at cablespeed.com
Sat Mar 9 08:37:14 PST 2002

As always (in my opinion) Joe Mable is right on target.
He wrote to us (in part) ...

<--------- quote --------->
 What is broken about SCN(A)? In my view:
 - we seem to have lost sight of providing service for the most
disadvantaged
 which approximates what is available to other people.
 - we have a lot of bickering, blaming, and flaming that discourages active
 participation by capable people.
 - we have not become expert at deploying volunteers to maximum advantage.
 - we have fallen far short of our early goal of being innovators, of
 constituting a model for others in using technology in service to
democracy.
 - we do not, in my opinion, constitute one of the easiest ways to get
local,
 public-minded content onto the Web.
 - we have never  developed any ability at all to truly support other
 likeminded endeavors.

 All of that said, I still think the group has enormous potential and an
 appropriate (if somewhat vague) mission. I'm glad to have the Peace
Heathens'
 Crisis Resource Directory be hosted as part of SCN. I'm glad to have it up
there
 with no ads and no censorship. I'm glad to have it up there as something to
 strengthen SCN's content offering. But where on SCN are ten other sites
equally
 vital to Seattle? Where is the technology that would make our Crisis
 Resource Directory easily searchable? Where is the community (yes,
community) of
 other organizations with web content on SCN with which we can share ideas
about
 mutually strengthening our offerings? What is SCN doing that it wasn't
doing
 five years ago to help those most in need of such information have access
to it?
 What are we doing to work with the disadvantaged rather than merely for
them?

 I am in the ironic situation of posing all of these questions from my
current
 office in Bucharest, Romania. I'm not in the ideal position to be part of a
 Seattle-based community at this moment. The internet is an amazing thing:
it
 allows me to actively participate in this discussion from the far edge of
 Europe. The question to me is, what are we doing to make it equally likely
for
 someone to participate from the far edge of South Park, White Center, or
Yesler
 Terrace? What are we doing to build democracy in the USA?

 Joe Mabel

Don Logsdon
(206) 521-9086