SCN: RE: RE: SCNA kaput -- irrevocably? - from Ken Gillgren

sc at sdf.lonestar.org sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Jul 2 08:44:26 PDT 2011

Joel,

No, we don't have a community network at all. It's still the
same situation as in 2007 when half a dozen of us met with you
in a coffee shop in Fremont and expressed our hopes that SCN
could once again become a volunteer-friendly group where the
membership's ideas and votes determined how and where SCNA
directed its energies in the future.

Instead we still see a closed fiefdom with membership-unfriendly
policies, disguised as a community network. Where are the
hundreds of civically engaged people? Where are SCN's own
principles? There's someone (Ti) focused on seeking corporate
donations for a worthwhile program to donate old PCs. There's an
accounting guy (Miller) who wants to contribute his bit to a
good civic cause. And whoever the fourth board member is, it's
someone whose voice is effectively silent on issues of public
concern, or concern to volunteers, because I certainly haven't
heard it.

And that doesn't add up to a community network, not one in the
mold of the original SCN. It's been yours to play with as your
own little hobby-sized kingdom, and you've done exactly what you
wanted to do with it for more than four years now. And that has
amounted to a very small hill of very unnattractive beans.

It's time for you to seriously think about taking up another
hobby.

Rod Clark

* * * * * * * *  From the Listowner  * * * * * * * *
To unsubscribe send a message to:  majordomo at scn.org
In the body of the message, type:  unsubscribe scn