SCN: RE: Now what?

Kenneth kgillgren at igc.org
Sun Jul 10 10:22:00 PDT 2011

Well, although I hesitate to advance this as anything other than the
messiest of all possible solutions (ain't democracy a pain), but wouldn't
the "classic" resolution be something along these lines:

1. The CURRENT BOARD renews or otherwise reactivates SCN's registration with
the state.
2. The CURRENT BOARD immediately schedules and convenes an ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP
MEETING as the ultimate decision body for SCN (yeah, that probably means
reactivating a means for people to enroll or otherwise confirm membership,
but this would be the sole and final action of the current board)
3. The ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING determines and votes on a new board of
directors (with any enabling "legislation" to vote on all positions, not
just those that may have expired under whatever process the Board has been
using in the absence of full membership meetings).
4. The NEWLY ELECTED BOARD is charged by the ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING with
either dissolving the SCN corporation and turning assets over to a suitable
successor (which I'm thinking is maybe not as likely now as it might have
been a month ago), or leading a process of restructuring SCN with a new
mission and goals, and hopefully new energy based on a broader
commissioning.

Clearly, current board members could still be re-elected, but they, along
with any other candidates/nominees, would have the same opportunity for
expressing their vision and commitment. Let the people decide. But let us
make one last invitation to a wider "people" (those who continue to care
about SCN or could be involved under a reborn mission and structure).

I think that's what the SCN "of olde" may have done.

No question, this would be a "put up or shut up" proposition based on who
really can muster a strong enough constituency for a genuine rebirth (or
genuine closure). Democracy is a pain. And the case could be made that there
may be little passion for the energy that would be required for confirming
membership or receiving new members. My only thought was that if there were
sufficient spark to continue in any form, than some kind of full membership
meeting, even if only 20 or so folks, could more objectively symbolize and
support a launch into a new direction. And, needless to say, we'd probably
have to recruit a facilitator with a terminal disease (sorry, "with nothing
to lose") to oversee the proceedings.

Or we could engineer a "friendly coup" from among the relatively few of us
who, as Al notes, already know too much about each other to "just start
over" with the same faces in the same places. This is my read on the current
proposals, and I'm ultimately open to whatever unfolds.

Just thinkin'

Ken Gillgren

  _____