SCN: Three levels.

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Thu Jul 14 01:29:51 PDT 2011

It would be useful to keep in mind that what we have discussed here of
late is actually three sets of problems, at three different levels.  One
is various problems with SCN ("a project of SCNA").  I think these deserve
to be discussed.  But strictly speaking, only the Board of Directors of
SCNA, which is legally in control of SCNA and its projects, has the
responsibility (and privilege) of addressing the problems with SCN (though
it may, and even should, delegate).

The second problem here, and really the main one, is the Board's failure
to perform their various responsibilities.  In regards of SCNA's rules the
membership's sole recourse is to elect replacement Directors.  (Joel
shouldn't get too comfy, though, as there are other levers, outside the
rules.)

Which gets to the third level: the Board having failed to maintain any
kind of membership roll, who's to vote them out? Or a new Board in? This
is a problem with the by-laws (or even the Articles of incorporation),
that there is no alternate (or even automatic) means of ejecting the
Board when it fails.

The last level needs further discussion, but we probably need to replace
the Board first. That new Directors ae willing to act will be insufficient
if they have no idea of how to proceed (this is the crux of my earliar
comment that will need a strong sense of what to do), which is why we need
to discuss issues on the first level.  But our main focus should be: dump
the Board!

* * * * * * * *  From the Listowner  * * * * * * * *
To unsubscribe send a message to:  majordomo at scn.org
In the body of the message, type:  unsubscribe scn