SCN: Re: RE: SCNA kaput -- irrevocably?

Randy Groves randomgrace at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 14:32:40 PDT 2011

You are right that there is little obvious happening.  However, I happen to
have 6 rack servers in my garage that SCNA picked up at a going out of
business sale, thanks to the eagle eye of Rhodes Heilman.  They have been
configured with Fedora and just lack the configuration of the serial console
(something I've been meaning to get to for way too long) to be able to be
installed at the library.

The skinny on the boxes:

1 x3350 - http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/hardware/rack/x3350/specs.html
2 x3250 - http://www.nexstor.co.uk/prod_pdfs/3250.pdf
3           -
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/5013/sys-5013c-m.cfm

The IBMs have been updated to hold at least one 500GB drive (a couple have
two - I'm not at home).  My not completed plan for these would be to move
our web and mail presence to new MUCH faster hardware, and have lots of
horsepower to add new capabilities.

The bad news about this is that we got these machines last year.  That's
part of the problem of having bought Sun gear - the stuff just won't quit!
And it is easy to ignore it.

So - I think SCN is doing OK in the hardware department.  If anything, this
note is extra stimulus to me to get that final step completed.  Not that
hardware will solve organizational issues ...

-randy