SCN: SCNA general meeting 6/9.

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Sun Jun 10 11:02:08 PDT 2012

There were eventually 15 people at the SCNA meeting, some old-hands (Joel,
Alan, Randy, Doug Schuler, Jean Buskin, etc.), some who "want to help".
The bottom line: Randy has some new hardware on which he has setup
Wikimedia and some blogging software, demonstrating that they could be
made available on SCN.  Particular ramifications don't seem to have been
considered, hadn't been discussed by the time I left (15:15).  One person
did ask what the library thinks about this; the library hasn't been asked.
If bandwidth requirements (supplied through the library) exploded Joel
thinks it would be practicable to rent rack-space somewhere.

Various interesting comments.  At the start Joel said the focus was on
finding "new services more attractive to the public ... or a phased plan
for shutting the operation down." No follow-up on that last option. (Also:
"We can come up with leadng [?] ideas just as well as anyone else....")

The past wasn't under consideration.  Alan: "Going over history not as
useful as going ahead...."  (Unless, of course you want to learn from it.)

Randy said there were three or four new e-mail accounts in the last year;
someone else (Alan?) said it was more like a dozen. As to the number of
SCNA members, based on those paying dues in the past year, Joel said
"about ten".

Doug made a very pertinent comment: "There has to be some kind of social
innovation that sells the project."  That is, just having some technology
is not enough.  (But not discussed.)

Various other chit-chat, but these are the highlights.  Unless things got
going hot and furious after I left you didn't miss much not attending.

* * * * * * * *  From the Listowner  * * * * * * * *
To unsubscribe send a message to:  majordomo at scn.org
In the body of the message, type:  unsubscribe scn