[Pattern-language] Facebook group

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Wed Jul 27 18:44:10 PDT 2016

Thanks Miguel. It will be interesting to see what the FB group can accomplish. BTW, I'll be happy to contribute a page!

I posted some information on the "11 seeds" to the FB group. I think it's worth sharing again, so here it is for this group since its purpose is helping to orient / coordinate pattern work. The names of the 11 seeds are below and the explanatory text is in the paper.

Thanks!

Pattern Languages for Public Problem-Solving: Cultivating New Seeds for Social Change
http://publicsphereproject.org/sites/default/files/organizing-around-pattern-languages.krems2014.preprint.pdf

Abstract:
The pattern languages perspective for the design and development of the built environment was popularized by Christopher Alexander and his colleagues in the late 1970s. Although many people have adopted the pattern language philosophy and framework in a variety of design / problem domains, there is a small but growing awareness that this orientation could serve a much broader and influential function than it currently does: organizing around and with pattern languages could provide much needed support for addressing complex problems, by supporting direct and indirect distributed collective action with more flexibility and respect for local context. Eleven "seeds" that could help improve our public problem solving capacity with pattern languages are presented. These seeds promote better understanding of our work, enhanced sharing approaches, publicizing the work, and organizing and enhancing our own communities.

1 Diverse Users and Uses

2 Pattern languages as Social Objects

3 Life-Cycle and Methodology

4 Barriers and Opportunities

5 Meta Pattern Languages

6 Remix

7 Process Mapping

8 Characterizing Pattern Languages

9 Public Problem Domains

10 Community Development

11 Research and Theory

> On Jul 27, 2016, at 5:00 PM, mapa <mapa at unam.mx> wrote:
>
> I am now part of the group. Maybe in september you can invite other members of our Seminar to this FB group.
>
> BTW Can you write a page explaining in plain english what pattern language an collective intelligence is? Is for the introduction of our book about technology mediation of learning and education.
>
> Best,
>
> Miguel Á. Pérez Álvarez
> Coord. Pedagogía (modalidad a distancia)
>  Div. Sistema de Universidad  Abierta y Educación a Distancia
> Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
> https://unam.academia.edu/MiguelAngelPerezAlvarez <https://unam.academia.edu/MiguelAngelPerezAlvarez>

Douglas Schuler