elections

Aki Namioka anamioka at grace.rt.cs.boeing.com
Mon Jun 5 10:57:55 PDT 1995

Hi All,

I guess we all live and learn.

Rule #1 - you can't make everybody happy any of the time.  This is a
lesson I am still learning :-)

First, Brian Lenihan is right.  I could have put one name on the
Articles of Incorporation, submitted it, and none would be the wiser.
It also would have been faster.  There is nothing that says
a project that is NOT YET a corporation has to hold an election.
Error #1 - trying to bring more people into the selection of the interim
board.

Second, two names were submitted late - by twelve hours as Bob Mascott
indicated.  Randy's nomination was one of the first to be submitted,
however, his statement of candidacy came a little later, so he is not
one of the late ones.  The late nominations were submitted by one of the
most vocal critics of the current SCN "regime".  So, I included the
candidates.
Error #2 - being intiminated by somebody who is vocal with
criticism.

Third, I have never tried to organize anything like this before plus
we were pressed for time.  So, we didn't have time to organize a
committee to organize the elections.  I had some ideas about
how it should get done, but not everything was worked out.
Error #3 - trying out a new process on a large group of computer
users with less than two months to implement.

Now to address some points directly (it is Monday morning - my
frustration is showing now):

About Bob Mascott's criticism that there is a conflict of interest.  What
INTEREST?????  My interest is in seeing SCN become a non-profit
organization and all my actions wrt to the policy committee has
been working up to that point.  I am not getting any money
for this - nor glory, as indicated by recent mail.  Instead
I am getting slammed left and right.

I AM NOT IN CHARGE OF VOTING.  In fact I was looking for
a neutral third party to do the counting and Kevin Higgins suggested
an accountant.  If we continue the elections, I feel strongly
that the voting SHOULD NOT BE DONE BY A MEMBER OF THE
COORDINATING COUNCIL!!!  A member of the Coordinating Council
is NOT a neutral third party.

About Steve Banerian's comment about having a non-founding member of
SCN as one of the three board positions.  This suggestion assumes, (1)
that there is a definition of a founding member of the project - I
don't know of one and (2) that there is a "fair" way to select this
non-founding member (if we figure out the answer to 1.).  I am not
sure if we can accomplish (1) and (2).

About the idea of calling off the elections - I think the CC should
consider this and make a decision either over e-mail or at the June 14th
meeting.  I will not make a decision about this on my own.

About the idea of setting up an elections board - it is fine with me
and if anybody wants to volunteer for the job of coordination they are
free to step forward.

Now, I am going to retreat and see if I can beat my head against
another wall for awhile.

- Aki