connection to other freenets

Kenneth Gillgren kgillgren at igc.apc.org
Mon Jun 19 10:41:21 PDT 1995

I agree. This could be a very exciting area to explore. I've been
visiting Diversity University in the context of an online conference
they are hosting on Distance Education.

A few considerations and caveats are in order, howver.

1. As a MOO, it would be resource intensive, at least as much as CHAT or IRC.

2. The MOO may need to be sponsored and managed by a third party, that
is, not the SCN administration or SCN itself. The reason is somewhat
related to the freedom of expression issues that have arisen recently.
Specifically, Diversity University explicitly requests users and
visitors *Not* to engage in conversations or comments of an explicitly
sexual nature, subject to removal from the system. This is clearly in
line with Diversity Universities expressed mission. I don't know how
others handle this, but I'll be checking into MUSE later today or
tomorrow. DU also has a system for users to respond or report to
harrassment (it involves a "witness" function to "record" the
harrassing action for review and action by DU administrators).

Anyway, it's worth some consideration.

Ken