SCN General Meetings

Jim Horton jimh at scn.org
Thu Jan 25 12:01:06 PST 1996

I was thinking about the meeting last night - which went very well under
Kevin's leadership - that we may consider a little change to our
traditional format or agenda. The real purpose of the meeting is to be a
business meeting, with status reports from the various committees and
discussion and voting on issues. We normally have a lot to cover in the less
than two hours that we have scheduled.

Its important that our meetings remain open to anyone interested in
coming, whether users, IP's, volunteers, committee members or just
interested public. Input from all of these groups are important to our
decision making process, like our discussions on our web/FreePort
policies last night. It does get difficult to get through the business
portion of the meeting if we dedicate as much as half of our available
time to give a 'short' orientation to SCN for the new folks each meeting.
That is largely what Steve Mudd's new user orientation meetings are for.

What I would like to suggest is that before the next meeting, we prepare
some specific information sheets with our history, structure, information
about committees, schedules and needs, mailing lists, and whatever else
seems appropriate and helpful, and have them available as handouts.
People that want them could pick them up on their way in or out. In this
way, we could actually provide more information than would be possible in
the meeting without taking up any extra time.

If people agree that this is a good idea, I can start on putting some of
the information together - in fact, I think we already have some of it -
and I would welcome any input or suggestions or offers to help that anyone
would like to make.

Jim
--

Jim Horton