Recent hardware problems

Randy Groves randy at scn.org
Fri Sep 20 10:50:52 PDT 1996

Thank goodness for getting our maintenance agreement resolved recently!  We
had symptoms of hardware problems, either CPU or memory in several crashes
this week.  Sun was out in less than
4 hours with a replacement CPU board.

All that went well, but I can't say the same for getting the terminal
servers re-connected.  The network interface on the SCN machine that talks
to the terminal servers was not configured correctly after the CPU board
install, and, not having the documentation for the board anywhere but at
home, I couln't remember the one little item that needed to be done to get
the interface working again.

Well, it's all taken care of now, and I took the opportunity to install the
new memory in the SCN main machine, and in our mail machine.  We now have
two machines with 96MB of memory each.  I don't know if this will continue,
but the load factor usually climbs up into the low 20's or 30's immediately
after a reboot.  Now we are cruising along at under 5 with 48 users logged
in.  Bodes well for the future, I hope.  We also have a new machine sitting
in my basement, which is getting configured to be scn3, which will be
another machine to log into, splitting the load with the present main
machine.  There's some space issues to resolve with the library before we
can get it installed there (We're getting bigger than our one table will
hold!).

Now if we could just get the phones working 100% of the time ...  (we're
working on it!!)

Thanks for using SCN!  We DO make progress ...  though it sometimes comes
later than any of us would desire.

-randy