An update & some questions for you (fwd)

Aki Namioka namioka at netcom.com
Wed Jul 30 17:59:04 PDT 1997

In case some of you are interested

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:53:43 -0500
From:ami at IDEALIST.ORG
To: announce at IDEALIST.ORG
Subject: An update & some questions for you

Hi,

This is Ami Dar from the Contact Center Network. I am
writing you either because your organization is listed in
our directory of nonprofits at http://www.idealist.org, or
because you asked us to update you on Action Without Borders
'97 (the global week of voluntary action planned for October
18-25).

This message contains the following updates:

* New version of Idealist - faster and easier to search
* Nonprofit sites with daily news, now all in one place
* Global directory of public Internet access points is up
* An update on Action Without Borders '97
* Apologies if we haven't gotten back to you

But before these news, I'd like to take this opportunity to
see if from your corner of the world things look more or
less the same as they do from here.

Over the last two years, in working with thousands of
organizations to assemble the resources on our Website,
we've had the opportunity to see, again and again, how many
of these groups are driven by similar values and goals, and
also how many of them face similar needs and challenges.

These challenges vary from place to place, but one
underlying theme seems to recur everywhere: the need for
better mechanisms for cooperation, both locally and
internationally, among individuals, organizations, schools,
businesses and other institutions.

These needs became even clearer after we started inviting
people to take part in Action Without Borders '97, and many
of them, especially in schools in universities, responded by
asking if there was any way we could work together year
round, and not only during that week in October.

To address these challenges, and provide new mechanisms for
collaboration and mutual support that will use the Internet
yet go beyond it, we are now changing our name from Contact
Center Network to Action Without Borders and adopting the
following preliminary mission statement:

"Action Without Borders is a global network of individuals
and organizations sharing ideas, information and resources
to help build a world where all people can live free,
dignified and productive lives.

Action Without Borders works through the Internet and
through local chapters to promote and facilitate
collaboration, volunteerism and investment in support of
these goals.

Action Without Borders is independent of any government,
political ideology or religious creed. Its work is guided by
the common desire of its members and supporters to find
practical solutions to social and environmental problems, in
a spirit of  generosity and mutual respect."

More detailed programs and guidelines for AWB will be
defined during the next few months through a global outreach
and information gathering campaign (starting with this
message to you) to see both what people want and need, and
what collaborative projects are already in place in
different communities that could then be replicated in
others.

What is already clear, is that both through www.idealist.org
and through local chapters and groups, AWB will:

* Promote and facilitate voluntary action, locally and
internationally

* Share working solutions and new ideas

* Link start-up organizations with more established ones

* Link organizations in need of technical support with
people who can provide it (at computer clubs, college
computer departments, high-tech companies, etc.).

* Link nonprofit organizations with businesses that want to
support them.

* Support the right of people everywhere to freedom of
information and association (without which not much else can
be done).

Depending on local needs and resources, AWB chapters will
range from informal groups meeting once every month or two
to share ideas and information, to full-fledged Action
Centers providing all the services listed above, and any
others that are suggested as we move ahead.

My questions to you:

1. Do you often feel that good resources are wasted or
underused, and that much more could be done if people had
better access to the tools and information they need?

2. Do you like the mission statement? Would you add or
change anything?

3. Would you be interested in helping build this network?
And if so, do you think that others in your community or
organization might be interested too?

I look forward to your reply. If you want to get involved,
you can also:

* Visit http://www.idealist.org, where you can now register
individually, so that other interested people can find you
by country, city, ZIP code and area of interest.

* Forward this message to anyone you know who might also be
interested in this initiative.

* Let us know of any collaborative projects that have
succeeded in your community, which you think could be
replicated in others.

Thanks!

Now, on to the shorter updates:

* NEW VERSION OF IDEALIST - FASTER AND EASIER TO SEARCH

- With the help of generous friends, we have just moved
Idealist to a stronger server with better software. As a
result, searches are now faster and easier than before.

(Idealist is an online resource that enables nonprofit and
community organizations - whether they have a Website or not
- to enter an update detailed information about their
mission, services, volunteer opportunities, jobs,
internships, events and material. 3,000 organizations are
already using Idealist. If you have any questions about this
system, please contact patsy at idealist.org )

* NONPROFIT SITES WITH DAILY NEWS, NOW IN ONE PLACE

A growing number of organizations are offering daily or
weekly news updates on their Websites, some for and about
nonprofits in general (such as Philanthropy Journal and
Philanthropy News Digest), and others specializing in one or
more areas of interest (Women's Wire and Disaster Relief,
for example). You can now find all of these sites in one
place at www.idealist.org

* DIRECTORY OF PUBLIC INTERNET ACCESS POINTS IS UP

To enable more people to have access to all of these
resources, and to the Web in general, we are building a
searchable directory of public Internet access points at
schools, libraries, community centers, Internet cafes, etc.
If you know anyone who works at such a site, please let them
know that they can now enter themselves at www.idealist.org.

* AN UPDATE ON "ACTION WITHOUT BORDERS '97"

- Over 100 organizations in 20 countries have already
registered as participants, and more are registering every
day. Coalitions and umbrella organizations are participating
in Australia, Brazil, India, Israel and the US, and people
from hundreds of schools, universities and companies have
already signed up. A full list of participating
organizations is available on the site. If you have any
questions about AWB '97, please contact russ at idealist.org

- In the United States, USA Today, one of the largest
newspapers in the country, is holding its annual day of
community service ("Make a Difference Day" in which over a
million people took part last year) on October 25, the last
day of AWB '97,  and we are working with them to coordinate
the two events.

- The comment that has come up most often in people's
feedback is the request for specific examples of activities
and projects. Dozens of examples, as well as a form for you
to add your own ideas, are now available on the site.

* APOLOGIES IF WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN BACK TO YOU

Over the last few months we have had some problems here with
our incoming and outgoing email, which have now been fixed.
We apologize if at any time you wrote us or submitted a form
on our Website and didn't hear back from us, and we'll do
our best to make sure this doesn't happen again.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and best regards,

Ami Dar
Executive Director