SCN Planning: Agenda

banerian spban at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 18 12:24:29 PDT 1997

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Rod Clark wrote:
> > ... The *individual* committee lists are for each committee to
> > use as conference tools within the individual committees.
>    The user home page project is of so wide an interest
> that I don't understand why you don't consider it worth
> mentioning on a list that more people subscribe to.
>    No wonder so many people are in the dark so often, about
> so many things.

this is true.  communication "from the top down" is not great, especially
now that SCN(A) is relatively large.  Unless the individual takes some
action, to learn, with effort, they just won't know.

> > ... I'm hoping that if it is a SCN-wide topic, it will be
> > posted to the scn list.
>
>    That's a fond hope...   (snip)
>    There are two philosophies here, I think. One is "Let's keep
> everything on a very fragmented 'need to know' basis as much as
> possible, so that any given person knows as little as possible,
> outside of a few Board members," and "Let's try to include as
> many SCNA people as possible in the general knowledge about
> what's going on."

this I do not think I a totally warranted observation/conclusion.  I
seriously doubt there is any *intention* regarding the information flow;
rather is looks more like no effort due to lack of adequate
planning/resources.  There really isn't any reason that the minutes can't
be posted.  It's just a text file.  the budget can be formatted likewise.
they can be put up for all to see.  Nothing to hide, no reason to hide.
Just no visible effort.  (note the word *visible* - it might be there ,
but the average SCNA member won't see it )

I would rather try to leave *motives* out of the discussion.  SCN has the
resources to have individual web pages.  It has been possible since the
newer web server went on-line.  There is not a significant space
limitation, since I offered a number of months ago to provide the disk
space for individuals.

It is now just a matter of making the effort and getting things set up
correctly.  If not now, when?  If not us, who?

If not chocolate, I'm outa here!

--
Stefani Banerian
spban at eskimo.com