Downtown Library Proposal/The other details and numbers to call

Doug Tooley dltooley at speakeasy.org
Thu Mar 13 16:42:48 PST 1997

Hi all-

Following is a forward from Kent Kammerer regarding the Seattle Library
Bond Issue. Kent has been a neighborhood activist in the City for 30
years and is, in an arena filled with burnout, probably the most senior
and experienced neighborhood activist in the City.  He hosts a monthly
breakfast attended by quite a diverse group of active voices in this City
and has developed for himself a singular voice that is respected by both
the City's strongest critics and the City itself.

Although it might be tempting for a growth management activist to jump on
board the Library band wagon for many of the same reasons as the Seattle
Commons, or for a computer activist to support the bond because of its
technology elements.  I would urge you to consider Kent's points and ask
yourself just what do we need to do to do things **right** in Seattle.

What follows is a summary of a 20 page document, which reads as a better
analysis of the issue than any consultant or bureaucratic report I've read
in quite a while.