two quickies

Doug Schuler douglas
Wed Mar 19 10:07:59 PST 1997

Two brief messages for your consideration...

(1) Steve Cisler and I were asked recently by people at Howard
Rheingold's Electric Minds forum if we'd participate in an on-line
discussion on community networks.  Of course we both readily agreed.
Unfortunately an embarrassing problem arose at just about the same time
I was expected to participate: I couldn't get my web connection working
(nor does it yet).  To make a long (and pathetic) story short I have
been unable to do much of anything on the discussion.  I am still
trying to figure out a way to join in but I've temporarily put getting
the web connection working on the back burner.  At any rate I wanted to
mention that this discussion is -- hopefully -- going on and it might
be a good place for you to check out.  I think that there is probably
good visibility there and that the e-minders would probably be a good
audience for some of your thoughts and ideas.  Check it out!
http://www.minds.com (you have to get an id but my request took less
than a minute...)

(2) Recently I presented a paper in Oslo at a "Technology and
Democracy" conference on the need for practitioners and researchers
(mostly University) to work together on community networks and other
types of grassroots computing and communication projects.  As one
reviewer said, "researchers need to get their hands dirty!"  In the
paper, I discuss the reasons why I think this collaboration is critical
and make a variety of concrete suggestions.  At this point I can still
make revisions before publication and I'd LOVE to get YOUR critical
feedback on the paper.  If you're a professor (or any type of
researcher credentialed or not) please think about giving it a look.
(It's at http://www.scn.org/ip/commnet/oslo-1997.text)  I'm looking for
comments that will help make the paper stronger.

Thanks!

-- Doug