SCN as a spam problem

allen allen at scn.org
Tue Sep 16 00:25:22 PDT 1997

Hmmm.  JJ...last time I looked...unsolicited bulk e-mail is not 'spam',
'spam' is an annoyance on usenet...  bulk e-mail is a far different and
much bigger problem.  I wonder if labeling it 'spam' may cause some to
trivialize it and not recognize it for the serious problem it is...not
just for us, but for everybody on the internet.  As how we label things
often has a tremendous effect on how we think about them and deal with
them, I think this is an important distinction...not just a triviality.
That being said, I agree that this is a problem of paramount importance
to SCN for the reasons you stated...and am very glad to see someone not
only recognizing a problem, but also proposing a framework for working
on a solution.  Thanks
allen