SCN as a spam problem

banerian spban at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 16 10:38:46 PDT 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, allen wrote:

> Hmmm.  JJ...last time I looked...unsolicited bulk e-mail is not 'spam',
> 'spam' is an annoyance on usenet...  bulk e-mail is a far different and
> much bigger problem.

the actual definition of "spam" varies quite a bit.  Labelling it as e.g.
UBE (unsolicited bulk e-mail) is a bit more descriptive.  But colloquially
referring to it as spam is not necessarily wrong, possibly just misleading
(unintentionally).  Some of the mail could also be referred to as
spewing, but that is usually used in the context of USENET also.

In any event, what is observed is the transmittal of UCE and UBE to
thousands of addresses, via SCN.  Failure of SCN to take action could
result in SCN being locked out of mail connections to other machines.  And
if SCN were somehow being used as a USENET spam originator, a UDP ("USENET
DEATH PENALTY") against SCN could result.

--
Stefani Banerian
spban at eskimo.com
banerian at scn.org