discussion of web archival

Brian High kv9x at scn.org
Fri Nov 20 11:26:41 PST 1998

scn at scn,

There has been a discussion on services at scn of various issues relating to
archival of this email list on the web.

However, many of the subscribers of this list may also have in interest in
participating in the discussion as well.

In any case, I apologize that my message about the X-No-Archive
setting was MIME encoded, as that made it hard to read.

If you could't read it, all I said was that if you don't want you message to
be archived on the web, put this line as the first line in the body of your
messsage:

... and the message will not appear in the web archive.

Also, there is the possibilty that someone may forward something
that another person wrote to this list ... without asking the quoted person
for permission ... but this issue is nothing new and is not specific to the
issue of web archival.

Also, some posts to this list are forwards of copyrighted material, like
newspaper articles.  It would probably be wise to keep these out of the
archive.  However, what you choose to post is entirely up to you, keeping in
mind applicable laws and the scn user agreement (that you sign when you get
an scn account.)

Also, since our majaordomo software is not configured for the X-No-Archive
string, marked messages still end up in the majordomo archive ... which can
only be obtained by list subscribers through an email request to majordomo.

--Brian

All messages posted on this list are also available on the web at: