Pine controversy

Bill Scott billhs at speakeasy.org
Thu Oct 1 22:09:32 PDT 1998

Joe;

I hope I don't sound like Pine is the answer to all the world's problems,
obviously that's not the case. Some people are obviously more comfortable with
Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Communicator or who knows how many others. There may
even be a few left who actually like to do their mail while in Emacs. There is
no one wonderful perfect mail agent for everyone.

The point of my comment back to Lorraine was that Pine has been described
as "extremely difficult" and "too hard for new users to learn".  I don't think
that's accurate. The experience at Speakeasy dealing with 'Joe Average' as
well as lots of students at the UW who have Pine provided to them indicates that
it is a quite usable way to handle e-mail for lots of people. There are plenty
of commercial ISPs that provide Pine as the e-mail program of choice.

I hope that in time we can make PPP or Slip connections available to those who
want them. At that point users will be able to use just about any mail program
they want to, which will no doubt add to the confusion of training the new
folks, but is still a good idea. As far as I know that's not something that can
be accomplished in the near future. We have only a few people who have the
skills to implement PPP or Slip on our system and they unfortunately have real
lives, day jobs etc. that take up some of their time. Until that can be
accomplished Pine seems to be a quite workable way to provide e-mail on SCN. We
need to figure out better ways to provide introductory training for new users
(and old ones too if needed). Acting like Pine was developed by an Ogre
conjured up by the Wicked Witch of the West doesn't get us anywhere - It's here,
it works, it's supported and it should serve the purpose until other things are
available. And by the way PINE 4.03 does some new things with URLs that might
interest some, along with some other new bells and whistles. Don't know but I'd
bet we'll see that version long before we see PPP connections.

Bill S
billhs at speakeasy.org  "Two of the most famous products of U.C. Berkeley
bk846 at scn.org          are LSD and UNIX. Is this a coincidence ? "