Bill Scott's Thoughts

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Wed Sep 9 22:16:23 PDT 1998

[This discussion assumes the high priority of the SCN e-mail service.]

Bill Scott said (in part)
> The questions raised here are really more related to .... how much the
> user should know and understand about the system he/she is using.

Perhaps, but in that case, I think the answer should be, "make it user
friendly" rather than "engineer friendly."

Again, I am attached to Unix, but I have trouble justifying it to users,
except for the fact that SCN is free from one's home computer.  (From the
library, many servcies are free and SCN is more of a pain in the pants
than a communication window to the world).

Bill Scott:
> Also look at the current 'Computer User' newspaper for the article about the
> LINUX operating system. It's a UNIX version/variation that is a true
> multitasking/ multiuser system. It's got an expanding user base and is the
> o/s of choice for numerous uses.

What about this?  I discussed the idea of SCN building its own system with
Rod.  He pointed out that this was not practicaL.

Can SCN switch to something like LINUX as we switched from Freeport E-mail
to Pine E-mail?  Would this solve the unser-unfriendly problem?

Would this solve the lack-of-graphics problem?

Later,

Rich