Pine controversy

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Mon Sep 28 18:05:32 PDT 1998

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Rich Littleton wrote:

[snip]

> Perhaps, just as we have Freeport e-mail AND Pine e-mail, perhaps we can
> have Freeport & Pine, AND a user-friendly program.  If the user-friendly
> one can be text, that is fine.  If not, then we should look at graphical
> ones.

Bear in mind though, that the minute we start talking about a
user-friendly graphical program for email, *** we are talking about a
program running on the USER'S machine, NOT on SCN ***. And this is
especially true if we have the "magic" SLIP/PPP setup that is supposed to
fix all the access problems.

So - what do we support? One program? Several? Only Win 95/98? Or do we
admit that there are Mac users in the world? (Maybe even Linux users?).
Shareware/Freeware/Commercial porgram?  How do we support that program?
Just let users scramble and install whatever email program they have
available? Do we provide a detailed configuration package that they
download and install, with lots of automated help? If so, who sets up the
specific SCN interface/configuration package?

All I am saying is, if we do decide to support a user friendly graphical
email package, that is NOT the solution and end of our problems. It is
more likely to be the beginning of other problems that we have to deal
with!

Ken