scn

Karyn Quinlan karyn at accessone.com
Wed May 26 22:58:29 PDT 1999

>I don't think replying to {remove,abuse,postmaster}@somedomain.zork is
>very effective, except to make the spam-recipient feel a little better.
>But changing ISP's for a spammer is just as routine as changing underwear,
>except that it probably happens more often.  It's just one of the activities
>of running a business.  The idea that it causes pain and expense to the
>spammer is wishful thinking, IMO.

If you're responding to my comments, you got it wrong. (But I see I could
have been clearer...) I was talking about the marketing used by ISPs of
giving trial offers etc. This is like heaven to a spammer. The spammers
incur no costs whatsoever and move on as soon as they get "caught," or
sooner. Like you say, like changing their underwear...

Spam should be sent back to those who encourage it by way of their trial
offers and other low or no risk invitations to spam! Send it back -- but
certainly not to the spammer! (they will be only too happy to harvest your
address). Send spam back by way of the offending ISP (use abuse@ or
postmaster@). Clog up *their* system. If everybody did it, these companies
(the offending ISPs) may start to feel the costs of their marketing ploys.

Enuff said?