scn [spam]

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Thu May 27 00:32:03 PDT 1999

> >But changing ISP's for a spammer is just as routine as changing underwear,
> >except that it probably happens more often.  ...

> Spam should be sent back to .... the offending ISP (use abuse@ or
> postmaster@). Clog up *their* system. If everybody did it, these companies
> (the offending ISPs) may start to feel the costs of their marketing ploys.

  Should _not_.  Please note that "these companies" (the spammers?) and
"the offending ISPs" are NOT the same; and unless, and _until_, an ISP
proves unresponsive it is better to get their cooperation.  And that means
not making things harder for them.  (After all, there have been times when
SCN was "the offending ISP".)

  Also note that spammers can run out of "clean" ISPs to change to.  I saw
that about two years ago when we were getting hit by one particular
spammer out of Florida on a regular basis.  (Actually using SCN to relay
spam elsewhere.)  I started monitoring his activities closely, and jumping
on him so often that I was getting to know the staff of the NSP (National
Service Provider) that provides the long-haul trunks that most of the ISPs
connect to.  Even to getting him cut-off in mid-session, with strong
messages to the ISP.  Florida must have gotten too hot--or too lean?--for
him, as the last I saw of him was from an ISP in Iowa--just before his
account there was cancelled.