Is anyone recycling computers for charities?

Sharma sharma at aa.net
Sun Nov 14 23:14:21 PST 1999

Several of us were recylcling older computers, collecting them and passing
them on to people who could not afford them, seniors, kids, etc. It became
more than I could deal with as it is a problem to also get donated
appropriate software and help the people set them up and so forth. I also
became buried in pieces of old computers that were no longer viable, i.e.
40-60 meg harddrives, 1200 baud modems, and so on. So I stopped. I have
not done a final count but estimate I personally placed about 100
computers before I felt the need to bail.

CAMP/ROPE and the Computer Bank Charity are still doing it, and someone
reading this SCN list could start an listserv where people and
organizations needing computers or assistance with computers could post
what they need. I do not have the time to do it.

I recommend to people who ask me if I know where they can find an older
computer - ask every person they meet for a week if they know anyone who
is looking for a home for their older computer. They will likely be
pleasantly surprised to find someone nearby who has one they will donate.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Cheers,

-sharma