New repressive Seattle noise ordinance: Rally this Mon., 10/4 (fwd)

Malcolm Taran rockybay at scn.org
Fri Oct 1 21:38:43 PDT 1999

Hi

Are we referring to the same noise ordinance?

I'd suggest talking to neighborhood associations as
well as city Code and Land Use people.  If you've
ever lived near (or within a block) of a party Animal
House in a residential neighborhood, or the seemingly
hearing-impaired owner of an incessant dog, you may
recall some sympathy for urban dwellers seeking relief
within their own homes, much less their own yards.

At a summer Ravenna Neighborhood Alliance meeting, a
Code and Land Use technician described how the
proposed noise ordinance contains valid, objective
engineering in determining compliance (or non-
compliance) before formal legal proceedings and
citations, while leaving the cops discretion in
advising people before resorting to the red tape.

A laudable feature from the perspective of neighbors is
that the actual noisemakers themselves would be liable,
not just the property owner.

Livable urban life can become a viable alternative to
endless sprawl.

"It's just apartment house sense...
One man's ceiling is another man's floor" (Paul Simon).

Malcolm Taran