Absence of target populations; background checks

Malcolm Taran rockybay at scn.org
Sun Oct 24 21:34:29 PDT 1999

On Sun. 24 Oct
Janos wrote
> That 7 year old boy... even with other teachers...was a liability..

you (Rich) had also written
> However, there were 2 other teachers, and 5 students, and it was in a
public library.

Yes, there exist human predators, there have been as far
back as we have history--back before writing.  But we
are no more under siege than we ever have been; less now
'cause we no longer hide or ignore human predation.

I volunteer with the Boy Scouts.  I had to submit to the
WSP background check formality--but that's national
policy.  More importantly, they _teach_ adult volunteers
_and_boys_ about _awareness_.  For adults, for just a
little example, _never_ be with a boy or boys alone--
always have another adult present.   Awareness and
teaching awareness require no ID and no background
checks.  I submit it is effective as red tape and
implicit external authority cannot ever be.

Rich wrote
> Given our difficulties in recruiting (and keeping) volunteers, we won't
> have enough vols. to expand our services...

We have that problem right now.

> ...  Rather that putting effort
> into processes that intrude on potential vols. (which we don't have
> enough
> of), lets focus on real and existing issues.

Yes, Janos, we do need to be intelligent, and
forthright, about dealing with risk.

If an adult teaching a child in public is a
liability, our society, values, and our collective
mental health are in _serious_ trouble.

Rich, Kurt, someone needs to gather some
quantitative data.  This discussion is getting
hysterical--and not just in fun.

Malcolm Taran