SCN: New Web Pages

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Tue Mar 21 10:27:46 PST 2000

> ... the SCN presence should be more prominent and information
> about SCNA and how to join is shunted off to the side,
> the process of introducing this could be better.  Next time,
> perhaps there should be a trial period so people's comments
> could be accomodated before going live.

Aki,

   How about adding "About SCN" as the first item in the
navigation bar on the right? Several people have mentioned that
a quick general introduction to what SCN is should be easily
findable. For now, it could be the old aboutscn.html page that
was one of the first links on the old home page, with the new
headers and footers wrapped around it. Then later, people could
write up whatever they think should be there.

   There was relatively little feedback about the test site, but
what little there was was very good feedback. Almost none of the
comments that people are making now would ever have surfaced,
though, if it hadn't moved to a live site, because most of the
people giving feedback now couldn't have been expected to take
the time to participate in a test program, and didn't.

   I agree that I didn't manage this very well, but then the
resources just aren't there at SCN to do this ideally well,
either. Switching over a large complicated site with (this is
last weeks' count - it's probably higher by now) 325 menus and
pages, and something like 5,800 menu items isn't exactly a piece
of cake in a volunteer organization where there aren't at least
a few other people on call who can push other things aside to
help with it.

   Let's give it a few days for everyone to respond with what
they want to see changed around, and we can work to address
everyone's viewpoints. Because of the groundwork done to
standardize a lot of things, it's much easier now to make
overall changes to the site.

Rod