SCN: websites to feature

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 14:59:50 PDT 2001

I am sure most webmasters have decided not to worry about the Lynx
crowd.

If 99 percent of the people that come to their site uses browser x or
browser y, then they will 'program' for those and write off the 1
percent. They probably think they shouldn't spend 20 percent of their
time for that 1 percent.

It depends who your audience is. If your audience ONLY serfs the web
to get the lastest and hotest game updates, then I doubt someone with
a dial-in connection is going to care much. They may have a 386.

However, if your site is text driven, community driven, you may be
more considerate to all browsers. Include WebTV? Include AOL? Include
Palms? Put a detector in your html and build for each browser?

Or use the K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple) system and throw in some CCS for
the ADA crowd (which I think is a great idea), if you are pouring out
information and that is your mission in life.

But I don't feel I should have to make my site compatible with the
first browsers that ever came out. If 5 people on the planet use a
particular browswer, I am not going to be considerate of them.

I think Lynx is great. The fact that it does drop-down menus and I
can check my Yahoo mail - well, that is incredible.

How many people use it? I don't think it is that hard to program for
the Lynx crowd. I assume it is easy to screw up and not make it easy
for them.

But your basic Meat-and-Potatoes web site? That should handle links,
I should think.

Patrick