SCN: Re: SCN's web front page

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Sun Sep 16 15:47:27 PDT 2001

> ... What is a big deal is getting familiar with the vi editor
> or pico, neither of which I love with a passion. Neither of
> which require a large amount of training to learn.

Patrick,

   Today fewer and fewer sites are rushing backwards to the Unix
of the 1980s (vi, etc.). Content editing tools are shifting more
and more to the Web as a platform, so that content editors never
have to see the arcana of the raw operating system command line.

> I did run into a small problem with updating the page in reference
> to rwrap. I emailed JJ on in just a moment ago and it should be
> fixed pretty quickly.

   I'm glad JJ was there to help you, and wasn't on vacation for thre
weeks or something of the kind. For this and other reasons, JJ is now
the absolutely indispensable person in the chain of events needed to
edit your file successfully. I've seen the Unix programming code in
rwrap, and it might take a lot of time for anyone unfamiliar with the
program to read and study it enough to fix other problems that might
come up besides the one you just mentioned that turned out to be
preventing the file update. It seems that we have created a
dependence on exactly one single programmer on earth to fix these
kinds of problems. This is the opposite of the general trend today
toward widely adopted and widely supported open source tools based on
the Web platform.

> I hope that people don't feel I am taking sides and being
> opinionated on this topic. I am saying that there are, of course,
> only a couple of people, at the most, who will be updating the
> homepage. With that, rwrap should be of little concern to anyone
> else.

   Say hi to Kristen for me, or whoever the other person is.
When she learns rwrap and vi, you can send me a postcard at this
address:

   Rod Clark [clonereg-A237G-234]
   1233-B-44678-G Plaza of the Year 2317
   New New New Bothell, Mars 98109124-23764565

Rod Clark