SCN: Re: SCN's web front page

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 16:41:59 PDT 2001

Any competent and savvy web person should know Unix. They should know
that as much as they should know HTML. Not a guru, but an
understanding of how Unix works.

Unix is the operating system of choice for security and stability.

I would not know about setting up websites unless I had a good
knowledge of Unix and directory structures and permissions and all
that. It is indispensible to know it, for one has a better idea of
how the internet works.

I would expect web editors and topic editors to have a fair knowledge
of Unix even if they do not use it. As much as I would expect them to
know HTML even if they never use it and simply stick to WSIWYG page
editors.

Again, this is a minor quibble. Unix text editors like vi and pico
are not rocket science. Sure, I have some learning to do myself, but
it is no big deal. Once I figure it out, I don't have to figure it
out again. And that goes for anyone else.

Patrick