Propriety (was: BD: Re: SCN: "Free-Nets" in Los Angeles Times)

Al Boss alboss at scn.org
Thu Jan 17 23:04:22 PST 2002

Patrick, I normally respect your opinions and I always appreciate your
committment and the fact that you care so much about our online
community. This time, though, I hope you reconsider some of what you had
to say.

> First, this topic is totally appropriate for scn at scn.org. It is a
> topic that involves the public and would benefit the public...

This sounds to my ears more like a difference of opinion than a
statement of fact. By your definition here, I would guess we should be
doing all our discussions on scn at scn.org, since I imagine everything we
do either involves or benefits the public. If that's the case, I can
understand why you are not using some of the interest/task-specific
sub-lists. Though the concept of the cc to the Board still confounds me.

> Second, the mailing list page sucks. It looks awful.

I guess I don't understand your definition of "sucks". The page I
visited certainly performed the task I needed from it. If I hadn't
included a URL I'd wonder if we were even looking at the same page. And,
regardless of the perfectly human typo or whatever that duplicated a
couple of list names, it looks to me as if one of my fellow volunteers
has put more than a little of their time and effort into the pages that
provide overviews of our mailing lists.

I didn't create the mailing list page, but I can imagine the humiliation
its creator must feel about having our Webmaster broadcast the above
opinion to the hundreds of people on scn at scn.org, as well as cc'd to our
SCNA Board of Directors. If it were my page, I wouldn't know how to take
this other than very personally, regardless of whether or not the
perceived disrespect was the intent.

 > If you run a mailing list, or are on a mailing list here at SCN, then
 > please let me know who the intended audience is. And the purpose of
 > the list.

Since I am able to look at the awful mailing lists page and immediately
read who the lists' intended audiences are, and what the purpose of each
of the lists is, do I suck too? Or am I just missing your definition of
"suck"? At the very least, it appears that our opinions of propriety
differ, not only on the appropriate venue for a discussion but also on
the quality and specificity of feedback offered on one's work.

> There is no reason SCN should have more lists than volunteers.

Maybe, but if anyone in an SCN leadership position were to take it upon
themselves to email the Board and all of scn at scn.org that one of _my_
pages sucks, there would likely be one less volunteer for our number of
lists, too.

May I respectfully request that the points be re-stated? I find myself
unclear on what the issue is.

Also, if the list owners have read this far, could I trouble some of you
to share with us additional information about how we can best use our
lists? I have read what's on our site:

The Web interest list is for discussion among SCN's webeditors
volunteers and others who are interested in SCN's Web site, the Board
list is for communication to and among the board of directors, and the
SCN list is for discussion among SCN's webeditors volunteers and others
who are interested in SCN's Web site

but from that it seems to me that I'm not correctly understanding these
words, or that we're misusing our lists (is updating a page on SCN
really a Board issue?), or that our documentation no longer matches the
way we use our lists and is in need of updates from the list owners.

Not for the first time in my life, I'm confused. I'll look forward to
clarification.

Thanks,

Al