SCN: government website accessibility

patrick fisher clariun at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 12:46:31 PST 2002

as anyone tried to hit a government web site, only to find out that they need the
latest and greatest browser? And to have that browswer they may need the latest adn
greatest operating system? And to have the OS, they may need the latest and greatest
hardware, possible?

And have you gone online to a government site to apply for a job and you need the
lastest version of MS Word? Not everyone has the lastest version of Word. Not
everyone owns a PC. Some of us have Macs and can't afford to have MS Office.

Why does the government make such a stink out of accessiblity for all people (which
is good, don't get me wrong), when information on its sites are restricted to a
certain class of people?

Why should I have to have the lastest browser (according to the Washington State
Parks site) in order to view a stupid park map?

I must give credit to the Washington State Park system people for now telling me
that I can use Netscape version 4.7 and higher (their site said I needed the
lastest/greatest). I was pleasantly surprised at their responsiveness, and that they
did not tell Mac-me to go out and get a PC.

The county was recently helpful when something did not work right on their site
because I use a Mac.

Anyway, I assume that those who pass the laws probably have computers and DSL and
all that and are not considerate to the entire population. They eat their Prime Rib
and seven course meals at the capital while they cut food programs.

As you can probably ascertain, I have a certain opinion about this topic. I really
feel, that among all things, access to information (and education and all that good
stuff) is probably the most valuable asset a society can have.

I suppose that this topic has been overlooked by the people who run the state and
local governments. Maybe not enough people have complained.

Even for some of us, we have internet access at work, we are using ancient browsers
(that is how things work in corporate America sometimes), and we can't have access
to sites as well.

What is my answer to this? I don't think SCN can influence legislation without
getting into trouble (I think, please don't quote me on this, and I don't think it
is SCN's mission). However, SCN can provide a place for forums to discuss this, as
part of the long-range plan to have more content and drive eyeballs to SCN.

My personal opinion on this: My suggestion is that I hope people with "lesser"
browsers and computer systems, will take the time to complain on this issue to those
sites that limit accessibility.

Okay, off my soapbox, and thank you,
Patrick

=====
Webmaster
Seattle Community Network
http://www.scn.org
"Powering our communities with technology"