Fear not Re: Archving/Updating SCN (was RE: SCN: Hello? )

Joe Mabel jmabel at speakeasy.org
Wed Mar 27 22:27:21 PST 2002

I agreee with everything Michael said.  I HAVE asked specific questions. I asked
for examples of outdated content and was given one example that appears to be
perfectly up to date. I asked for the criteria that wil[Bw be used to determine
whether particulcr pages are out of date and got no response.

"Come to the meeting" is no answer. I'm in Romania, halfway around the world. I
believe you already knew that, but if you didn't you do now.

I am an active participant in SCN who has raised what I think are reasonable
concerns and I'm frankly feeling a little brushed off.

A "virtual community" should not mean that if you can't make the meeting you are
virtually disenfranchised.

So again, I will reiterate: update any outdated pages or, if more appropriate,
mark them as no longer current? Sure. Drop the entire content of certain pages
in favor of a link to a well-maintained place to get comparable information?
Absolutely. Rework top-level menus, eliminate or demote the chaff and emphasize
ehe wheat? Certainly. But moving around the actual arrangement of pages on disk
in a way that changes their URLs is almost always a bad idea.

Joe Mabel